Thursday, August 30, 2007

Viva la resistance . . . to pants!!!






During a recent water cooler conversation with a colleague, the following story was relayed.

Our vice president (Sean) was walking one of our hallways lined with offices when he started a casual conversation with someone coming the opposite way. During this conversation, Sean leaned on what appeared to be a closed office door. To his ultimate dismay and horror, it was not and swung wide open when leaned upon.

Inside was a new mother sitting casually at her desk with her blouse unbuttoned and a mechanical breast pump attached and pumping away. He quickly apologized, closed the door and went straight to her supervisor, the colleague telling the story.





This woman still works there today, and I will often snicker when walking by that office. This leads me to my point. If she was able to keep her job after this incident, why on earth should I be subjected to wearing pants?

At what point in our so called civilized society did wearing pants become the norm? Somehow pants became such a staple of our existence, that phrases associated with power were coined around pants. For example, "who wears the pants in your marriage?" Who cares if you’re wearing pants, everyone is. Now to show real power, the phrase should go, "who is wearing NO pants when the in-laws are over?" Oh, how the authority just oozes from that statement.

I for one, feel that pants are hindering our productivity both in the workplace and the social arena. Some of my most brilliant moments have occurred whilst free of pants. Some naysayers may inject, "why don't you wear shorts, they aren't as binding as pants?" Let’s be honest here, shorts are simply a stop on the train to "No Pantsville".

So, say so long to the slacks. Kick off the khakis. And leave the Levis at home. I'm making casual Friday truly casual, and sticking it to the man at the same time, the pants man that is.

8 comments:

Laurel said...

Good gosh that's hilarious! Gotta' say, Jason is the only one who has ever seen me using "the pump" and I fully intend to keep it that way! Ps. Pants are totally overrated. Rock on, Blaine. Rock on.

Alicia said...

Yes, yes.... I got my husband to start blogging and life has never been better!
We have a standing rule at our house that pants are optional. To quote Sean and Pinnochio: "I got no pants to hold me down. I got no pants to push me around. I had pants, but now you see, there are no pants on me!"

Sean said...

No Shoes,
No Pants,
No Problem!

Kendee said...

I love your no pants livestyle. I used to think you were all for a pirate's life, but I see that it has progressed. Stickin' It To The Man!!! Jack Black would be proud.

Elizabeth Moon said...

Hi Alicia! I see you have married someone as funny and quirky as you! I had so much fun with the Lee sisters back in "the day."

Dottie Stay said...

Blaine is so dang funny!! I have never thought about it like that before. Really, who needs pants!? I do hope that Blaine feels fondly about his "underpants" though. I don't know if the world is ready for strictly NO pants! :)

Alicia said...

Yes-- underwear is a must. :)

LEE BIEN said...

Personally, I favor men in kilts. Scotland is on to something here. You've got your pleats so that the fabric drapes nicely from the hips, you've got the cute knee-socks that lead the eye toward the thigh. One of Dave's best features, by the way. Too much information? You're the one that said "no" to pants!
Mama Lee