Thursday, October 1, 2009

Ode to Autumn


Well, it's official.
This morning, when I found Jake's toesies freezing, I switched the A/C to heat.
Don't laugh, but this is kind of a big deal.
It smelled like fall; you know that smell--the first time you switch it on--that distinct scent of heat. And after a long summer of blasting refrigerated air through my house, I now get a waft of coziness in the beginning of this beautiful season.

I love the way the mountains look in the fall... I love how they are seemingly on fire with changing leaves. I love how as winter comes, their heads are covered in snow and the rest of them are still alive--green, gold, orange and red spreading out and down to the valley--their peaks high above them shrouded in frozen mist.

So, bring on the cider, hot chocolate, caramel apples, and
pumpkin pie.
October is going to be wonderful.

8 comments:

LEE BIEN said...

I agree! October is the most underrated month of the year.

dxeechick said...

lucky! here we don't get autumn until like March and then a week later its spring break.

i'm not complaining, i'm just saying - it's time for my annual trip to utah to experience the crispiness of fall. yum.

let's go sweater shopping sometime.

staci said...

Love this post! I love that picture too. Did you take that? Gorgeous! It's even starting to feel more like fall down here in the southern part of the state! Thank goodness for that!!

Jen Carter said...

I turned our heater on a couple of days ago. I was trying to explain that exact smell to Doug. I have not been happy about the upcoming change in weather...but I'm a little more excited now after reading your post :)

Laurel said...

Amen, you little poet, you. :)

Markelle said...

yay! don't worry, I've already made apple crisp, (twice) apple cider, caramel popcorn...I am so giddy I can't can't wait for all the other yummies and activities this perfect season brings.

tammy said...

Let's go to a movie during the month of fun!

Ms. Dottie said...

I love the fall time! I've been up to Park City and Heber twice already and I'm going up again next week. It is truly beautiful. I've even bought 3 new holiday cooking magazines. I love this time of year!