Thursday, September 27, 2007

Am I justifying? ... I don't care!

If you are like me (and if you are, then you are probably feeling a little frumpy this morning. Sorry), then you LOVE TV. Now, there are only a few shows I feel a little guilty about-- Sex and the City (on TBS) and Grey's Anatomy come to mind--but not too guilty... I still love them, watch them, and talk about them to Blaine (who is a great sport).
Anyway, to the point... This book is amazing! Blaine bought it for me when we were dating, and I open it up every once in a while to make myself feel better about spending most of my free time watching "my stories." Everything Bad is Good for You, by Steven Johnson is a (very thorough) look into the idea that Pop Culture is getting better, smarter, and more complex with age. Johnson disects various mediums, like TV, movies, the Internet, and the vast world of gaming, and basically says that despite what people may say and think about these "non-stimulating", "lazy" vices, people who partake of "smart TV", etc. are able to work through problems more creatively, and have been proven to me more social than those who don't... FASCINATING!
Okay, so I know I'm a really big geek, but hopefully, you other TV-a-holics will feel a little less guilty now too. :)
Oh-- and how freaking excited are all of you for The Office and My Name is Earl tonight?

8 comments:

Dottie Stay said...

Love it! I need that book. I love to sit down and watch all of our shows that have been Tivoed. It is so nice and relaxing. You are right. I think that I am much smarter for it! :) YOU ARE NOT A GEEK!!! Have fun tonight!!

Scott and Megan said...

love it lic and I was wondering why i was feeling a little frumpy this morning....i am so excited for YOU for the office...I can't wait...I just can't even imagine how exciting it will be...I don't even watch it and i can't wait until it starts because I know ALL Lees will be doing the same thing :)

Laurel said...

You are justifying... ME! Thanks to shows like (tear) Gilmore Girls, I honestly strive to make my verbal diarrhea sound as smart and witty as Lorelai. That dialogue is so smart and clever! Speaking of smart dialogue, I am totally pissed I am working tonight. I hope our internet downloads that thing FAST so I can still watch it when I get home...

Elizabeth Moon said...

Most of my favorite memories of life in Utah involve the crazy/beautiful Lee girls! I am so glad you like Atticus' name. It was a bit risky, but we went for it and it has totally paid off. Everyone knows how cool (and literary) we are now! :)
BTW, you are looking beautiful! I love the family portrait.

Melissa Sebourn said...

No need for justification, I was actually just looking for my copy of that book yesterday. Genius. Pure Genius. BTW please post about the office because I need to "discuss" w/you around our virtual water cooler!!!

Alifinale said...

Thank you thank you thank you! I sometimes feel guilty for my TVaholic nature, but not enough to actually change. Now I am happy to know I am just getting smarter and more sociable. Your the best. BTW, a great new guilty pleasure is Gossip Girl. It is total trash and I love it.

Kendee said...

As I was reading this, I knew that Alison would be lovin' your comments. How is it that my two BFF-AEAEAEAEAEAE are good at remembering pop culture... I SUCK at it. I have even started DVRing "The Soup" to help me with my lack of knowledge.

Alicia said...

BFF AEAEAEAEAEAEAE
I almost forgot how funny we are. :)