Monday, April 16, 2012

Georgia O'Keeffe is all that's left

When I was pregnant with Sarah and very hormonal, I thought it would be a great idea if Jake had some fish. I am not what you'd call a "pet person" but we went to the pet store, picked out a tank perfect for the kitchen counter, some blue gravel, a Spongebob figurine, and three respectable goldfish.

Of course, we named them, Georgia O'Keeffe, Freddy Mercury, and President Palmer.

Freddy died right away. He looked pretty bad in the end of his short life, and I couldn't help but blame myself for his given name and his unfortunate disease.

President Palmer was flushed today. He's had a rough week and I'm actually surprised he's lasted this long. I'm also surprised that Jake cared. At all. I wonder if he would have even noticed if "yellow fish" was missing had I not told him what was going on.

Jake helped me get the fish catcher and carry poor President Palmer to the hall bathroom for his send off. Sarah followed suit and we flushed him and all waved "bye bye". If I didn't hate these dang fish so much, I would have been a little sad... Okay, it was a little bit sad.

Of course, Jake immediately asked if he could have "yellow fish" back and then was very concerned about his pet. He also sometimes seems to think that his fishy is all better now, that he can swim and eat just fine now that he's been flushed away. Poor kid. Poor fishy.

Jake has declared that he's happy to still have the "white fish" but that he's sad about his "yellow fish". Actually, that was over an hour ago. He hasn't mentioned anything about fish since I turned on his new favorite, "The Little Engine that Could." We'll see.

Anyway, Georgia O'Keeffe is all that's left. I'm not sure what that means, but I think it's safe to say that no matter my love for Pop-Culture, Fine Art wins. Always. :)

3 comments:

Rachael said...

Ooohhh! I was just thinking about those fish! Farewell President Palmer....

LEE BIEN said...

So sad for Jake. I guess the question now is (hand over heart, please), "Will Georgia live as long as Ralph did?"

Laurel said...

Poor President Palmer. The guy can't catch a break in any of his lives, can he?

"Fine Art wins." I like you. :-)