Sunday, May 3, 2009

That Was Wicked Awesome

I know everyone is talking all about how amazing "Wicked" is...
Well, they are right. We went last night and it was incredible. I read the book about a month ago and I really liked it, but felt the ending was sorely lacking. I loved the literary themes and political undertones and I was enchanted by the whole concept of the novel... and then felt completely dumped on. Poor Elphaba was so desperate for any meaning or purpose to her sad life, only to have Dorothy melt her face off. No resolution for Elphie or me. Sad.
The musical was everything I wanted the book to be. And it was amazing.

7 comments:

Christy said...

Well...there goes my motivation to finish the book. hehee. Doesn't sound like I'm gonna have a very fulfilling read. Maybe I'll just go to the play instead! hehe. Naw, I'll keep reading it. But I'm glad I got the heads up. :) I need to go see it. My girls are really into all the songs so I might take them. Appropriate?

Laurel said...

I'm so glad you LOVED it! I'm also glad we could help you out with Jakey -- I just love that boy. :)

Okie said...

The play definitely had a more fulfilling/happy ending than the book. I've got the second book in the series (Son of a Witch) and hopefully I'll read it over the summer to see if it resolves some of the many threads left unraveled in the first book. Still, the book and the play are definitely separate entities.

As to the play, it was AMAZING! So much fun. Looking forward to seeing it again somewhere down the line. Great show!

Michelle said...

I'm wicked jealous. I want to see it wicked bad!

p.s. "My boy's wicked sma't"

Cara said...

I loved it too - once I got over how pricey the tickets were :)

Mom of three ♥ said...

Glad that you liked it! We also loved seeing it and would love to see it again!

Jen & George Scott said...

I loved Wicked. It was awesome, wasn't it, and also we need to call everyone and go hang out. I miss talking to you face to face!!!